Извештаји:АО ВМРС/новембар-децембар 2013./ен
Academy Board members
- Filip Maljković, President of WMRS
- Ivan Matejić, Vice-president of Academy Board
- Jelena Prodanović
- Dragan Satarić
- Đorđe Stakić, President of Academy Board
- November-December 2013.
Aims and plans in current quartal
- Projects improvement
- Contacts with new institutions
- Contacts with old institutions
- project activities in schools and on faculties
- involvement of new vlunteers
- Did you complete and meet all aims and plans?
- Which of them are completed, which are not, and why?
- All aims and plans are started or fulfilled. In this two-month period projects that were already started have now been finished, and some new ones have been upder development. There are plans for new meetings and projects in the next quartal. Academy Board has a new member. We started realization of projects with new and old institutions.
Projects in progress
- Wiki Gymnasium
- Wiki Student
- Wiki Scholar
List of involved institutions
- 7th Belgrade Gymnasium (Project Page)
- 3rd Belgrade Gymnasium (Project Page)
- Faculty of Phylology University of Belgrade (Project Page)
- Faculty of Computer Science Union University - Belgrade (Project Page)
- Faculty of Engineering University of Montenegro (Podgorica) (Project Page)
- Faculty of Mathematics University of Belgrade (Project Page)
Report for projects
- Seventh Belgrade Gymnasium
- The project in the Seventh Belgrade Gymnasium began in October. In this cycle it involved one class of 30 second grade pupils in social sciences, along with professors of Geography and English. Project was implemented in two subjects - Geography and English and it was completed at the end of December. The results of this cooperation are 28 articles, 12 of them are new and 16 are expanded articles. The general conclusion is that the resulting articles are very comprehensive and of good quality, pupils are satisfied with the work, as well as professors. There is a possibility that some of them may continue editing Wikipedia in the future. 30 pupils participated in the project, half of which were male, and half female.
- Third Belgrade Gymnasium
- The project in the Third Belgrade Gymnasium began in the school year 2012/2013 with third grade pupils. In December 2013 the same project was continued with the same, now fourth grade, students, along with their professor of informatics, M. Nesovic. In order to establish correlation between informatics and other subjects in school, the plan is as follows: pupils will work on chosen topics related to mathematics from December 2013 until February 2014. As pupils went through workshop and exercises (training) and participated in the preparation of seminal papers, this time it was decided to write articles in the main namespace. In addition, pupils will be introduced with display of mathematical formulas in articles on Wikipedia, which is an innovation compared to their previous participation in this project. For 2014 another phase of seminal papers is planned to start, this time with younger pupils.
- Faculty of Philology, University of Belgrade
- The project of seminal papers at Faculty of Philology, for the first semester of school year 2013/2014, was continued and completed in November and December 2013. Aside from departments of Spanish, Swedish and Chinese, during this period, project involved department of Japanese language as well. Divided in scrum teams, students were able to work together on articles, which were improved and perfected through an iterative process. Members of the Academy Board, Filip Maljkovic and Djordje Stakic, from Wikimedia Serbia, supervised the whole process, sent feedback via the website http://trello.com/ and answered their questions, sent suggestions, comments, returned articles for revision and finally accepted "final product“. This demanding process is innovative, and project participants reported their work for scrum technology conference which is being held in New Orleans in late April and early May 2014. At the time of writing this report, it has been confirmed that the paper is accepted for theconference. The expected number of cycles and articles per team was not reached because the process of obtaining final articles was longer and slower than originally planned. However, each team had created at least two articles, except for the Japanese teams who, due to later joining, had created one Wikipedia article each. During the preparation of seminal papers, there were several meetings with the assistants of the Faculty of Philology in order to plan the whole process, and some of them implied the presence of students when they wanted to hear their live feedback regarding the articles. Of all 155 students that participated, 131 were women and 24 were men. In total, 47 articles were created. These articles stand out for the quality, because of the possibility to take into account very detailed suggestions relating to better article quality, as well as through the work of several students on one article, and in general the Scrum technology.
- School of Computer Sciences, UNION University, Belgrade
- In October 2013 dr. Vladimir Milovanovic suggested to his second year students, who attended Computer architecture and the Basics of electronics, that they can get extra points in those subjects, if they write seminal papers for Wikipedia. At that point, he had no knowledge about organized system of Wikipedia in Serbian language, so he started the entire action on its own initiative. During November 2013, Djordje Stakic from Academy Board got in contact with professor Vladimir Milovanovic and the meeting was held on the November 19, 2013 at the Faculty of Mathematics. It was agreed to give students a lecture about Wikipedia, what is Wikipedia, how to edit articles, and what Wikipedia policies are regarding seminal papers. This lecture was held on the November 26, 2013 in front of a group of 15-20 students at the Faculty of Computer sciences with the presence of the professor. Completion of the project was planned for late December, but it was extended until mid-January of 2014. Students had been working on several articles. Taking into account they are computer science students, technically they managed quite well. As there was no limit to the number of articles per student, students mostly wrote several articles, and there were those with more than 20 written articles.
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Montenegro, Podgorica
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Montenegro, Podgorica is the first college in the region (outside of Serbia), with whom the Academy Board of the Wikimedia established cooperation. Thanks to the professor of that faculty, dr. Zoran Mijanovic, third year students were writing articles from Electronics as seminal papers for Wikipedia for several years. In the previous years, students did entire input of articles with not much knowledge about educational projects of Wikimedia Serbia, but this time the contact was established through their professors and through groups on Facebook. Thus, they are referred to materials that can make their work and editing articles on Wikipedia much easier. The topics were in the field of electronics, and writing articles for Wikipedia was was one of the possibilities for writing seminal papers for that subject. Members of the Academy Board didn't visit students in Podgorica because of the distance, but all communication with them took place online. During November and December the project involved five students and input 5 seminal papers in the main namespace. Thereby, the project is over for this semestar. Next year, if conditions allow, members of Academy Board will consider the possibility of visiting students in Podgorica.
- Faculty of Mathetmatics, University of Belgrade
- In spring 2013, educational project at Faculty of Mathematics started successfully. Activities related to this project started in December, for the following year. In collaboration with Jelena Hadzi Puric, assistant at the department of Computer Science at Faculty of Mathematics, master students (5th year) were included from two departments (Computer and Information Sciences, Computer Science) on the same subject Algorithm Design and Analysis. Students were introduced with all the materials they needed to work with, they completed a list of tasks to test their technical skills on their Wikipedia user pages, and they chose topics related to their subject. At the end of December they began writing their seminal papers on Wikipedia, in the main namespace. After completing in January 2014, it is expected that Wikipedia will be enriched with more than 15 high-quality seminal papers. With the start of the new semester in February, new educational activities of Wikimedia Serbia have been planned at the Faculty of Mathematics.
- Currently no institutions
- No current activity
Other activities and works
- Project improvement
- At the Faculty of Computer Science students were taking more articles for the seminal papers, collecting more points for their subject. In previous periods, students generally worked by one seminal paper, but during the spring 2013 students at two different faculies created 3 articles each, while students of Faculty of Computer Science worked on about 20 smaller articles. On the other hand, applying scrum technology at the Faculty of Philology improved the system of obtaining high-quality and extensive articles. A group of students was fixing errors and following requests iteratively. Because of non standard workshops at Faculty of Electrical Engineering in Podgorica, there have been some thoughts about how to improve the situation related to them and increase the level of training of the students for editing Wikipedia.
- Academy Board meeting and new member
- On December 8, 2013, WMRS General Assembly was held and Filip Maljković became the president of WMRS. Also, at the same occasion, Academy Board held a meeting and a new member was elected - Jelena Prodanović.
- Course-Creative Commons, creativity and knowledge society
- Panel discussion: "Creative Commons - creativity and knowledge-based society" was held on December 13, 2013 at the University Library "Svetozar Markovic" in Belgrade. Filip Maljkovic, Djordje Stakic along with our collaborators in educational projects, Jasmina Nikolic and Vladimir Milovanovic, actively took part. The program of the panel discussion can be seen at this link.
Plans for next quartal
- EduWiki Conference Belgrade 2014
- Realization of projects in schools and on faculties
- Maintaining contacts with old institutions
- Contacts with new institutions
- Involvement of more volunteers for workshops
- Workshops about Wikipedia editing for librarians.
- In these two months there were many of activities regarding WMRS educational projects. The lectures in University Library made good impact on spectators and it is planned to start a cooperation with the Library based on workshops about Wikipedia editing for employees. Projects that were started earlier this year are now near their end, and new ones are planned for 2014.