Learning Day will be held on Sunday, March 23, 2014, in Wikimedia Serbia Office (Bulevar kralja Aleksandra 20, 5th floor). This will be an internal meeting between WMRS members and their educational-project representatives and guests from abroad involved in EduWiki.
WMRS members will present our educational projects, successes and achievements to our guests. In short overview we will see chronological retrospective of projects, quality and quantity of articles, number of institutions and students/professors involved. Focus of the program will be on models and approaches in cooperation and projects realization, new ideas, successes and failures. All together will try to find an answer on key question - What institutions expect from us, and what we expect from the institutions.
Our guests from abroad will share their successful stories, achievements and ideas, and they will present their local educational projects to us. Final aim is to set a foundation of the future educational chapter cooperation.
Filip Maljković, Đorđe Stakić, Ivan Matejić, Mile Kiš (WMRS)
Brian Kelly (WMUK), Rod Dunican (WMF), Anna Koval (WMF), Tim Moritz Hector (WMDE), Igor Sazdovski (WP MK), Dominik Matus (WMCZ), Andriy Makukha (WMUA)
- Overview: Metrics are very important in educational projects. It shows very useful statistics about quality and quantity of our work and also aims and measure of success for every single project.
- Key questions: How to establish good metrics? What data is important? What should be our focus data? How important are project aims and measure of success?
Leader of an Educational project
- Overview: If you want to have good and successful project, you also must have a good leader. Activity doesn't stop with finishing workshops and lectures, communication with students and professors should be the base of the project engagement.
- Key questions: How to be a good leader? What is important in communication with professors/students? Good leader equals successful project, or not?
Target groups in educational sector
- Overview: Every project has its target group. Target groups for an educational projects are schools, faculties, their professors and students, and also other educational and science institutions. Our role is to present educational projects in the best manner, and get them involved. We also need to motivate them during and after the project to make them long term interested.
- Key questions: What are the target groups in educational sector? How to get them involved? What are they expecting from us, and what are we expecting from them?
Quality and quantity of the articles
- Overview: Quality of the written articles is very important and success of the project could depend on it. But, on the other side, quantity (number) of written articles also play a significant role. Long articles are good, but without any references its content is very questionable.
- Key questions: How to measure quality? What is more important - quality or quantity of the articles? How to improve quality and number of articles on Wikipedia?
How to attract new potential editors?
- Overview: One of the most important goals in every project on Wikipedia is to attract potential new editors who will continue with editing after project finalization. Expanding of Community on Wikipedia is crucial, and its development is an everyday challenge.
- Key questions: What methods to use for capacity building? Will the project be unsuccessful without any new editors?
Wiki Community response on Educational projects
- Overview: Community play fundamental role on Wikipedia, and their opinion is quite important. There are situations where projects are finished with low-quality articles. In our practice this makes Community very unsatisfied, because improving that articles will become their obligation. Our commitment is to work on ways to avoid this kind of issues.
- Key questions: Should Community be involved in Educational projects, and how? How to actively involve Community and accept their ideas and suggestions?
Chapters cooperation on educational projects
- Overview: There is no educational project in every single chapter. On the other side some of them have extensively developed program. That chapters should make some efforts to help others to start or improve their educational projects. Of course, everything must give benefits to both sides.
- Key questions: How to start a chapter cooperation? Why is this cooperation important? What are the benefits for all sides from that cooperation?